Evan M. Sisson, Pharm.D., MSHA, BCACP, CDE, FAADE
Department of Pharmacotherapy & Outcomes Science
Location: Smith Building, Room 438
Phone: (804) 828-8076
Dr. Sisson is an Associate Professor at VCU School of Pharmacy in Richmond, VA. His current practice sites include an inner-city free clinic where he manages drug therapy under a collaborative practice agreement with the medical director. Prior to joining the faculty at VCU, Dr. Sisson worked in the interdisciplinary diabetes and lipid clinics at the Richmond Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Dr. Sisson is a Certified Diabetes Educator and a past member of the Board of Directors for the American Association of Diabetes Educators. Dr. Sisson is a frequent author on the topics of drug therapy for dyslipidemia and diabetes. Two recent book chapters include Pharmacotherapy for Glucose Management and Pharmacotherapy: Dyslipidemia and Hypertension in Persons with Diabetes in the 3rd edition of AADE’s Art and Science of Diabetes Self-management Education. Additionally, he authored the 5th edition of AADE’s Quick Guide to Medications.
School of Pharmacy
Dept of Pharmacotherapy & Outcomes Science
410 N 12th Street
P.O. Box 980533
Richmond, VA 23298-0533
Fax: (804) 828-0343
Area of Focus
- Primary Care
- M.S., Health Administration (Virginia Commonwealth University, 1996)
- Pharm.D., Pharmacy (Virginia Commonwealth University, 1994)
- B.S., Pharmacy (Virginia Commonwealth University, 1992)
- B.S., Biology (College of William and Mary, 1989)
- B.S., Psychology (College of William and Mary, 1989)
Academic Appointments/Professional Experience
- November 2006 - Present. Assistant Professor, VCU/MCV School of Pharmacy, Richmond, Virginia
- August 2004 - November 2006. Clinical Pharmacy Manager, Southside Regional Medical Center, Petersburg, Virginia
- June 1996 - August 2004. Program Development Coordinator, McGuire VA Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia
- July 2002 - August 2004. Patient Advocate for Diabetes/Lipid Clinics, McGuire VA Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia
- September 1995 - June 1999. Investigational Drug Study Sub-Investigator, McGuire VA Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia
The publications search is performed on the
National Library of Medicine's PubMed database. The search may be slow during
high traffic hours, may return articles authored by another researcher with a similar
name and may not always find all of a researcher's articles.
- Books/Book Chapters
- Sisson EM. AADE Quick Guide to Medications, 6th Edition. Chicago: American Association of Diabetes Educators; 2015. ISBN: 978-1-881876-40-3.
- Homko CJ, Sisson EM, Ross T. Review Guide for the Certified Diabetes Educator Exam, Third Edition. Chicago: American Association of Diabetes Educators; 2015. ISBN: 978-1-881876-35-9
- Recent Publications
- Sisson EM, Dixon DL, Kildow DC, Van Tassell BW, Carl DE, Varghese D, Electricwala B, Carroll NV. Effectiveness of a Pharmacist-Physician Team-Based Collaboration to Improve Long-Term Blood Pressure Control at an Inner-City Safety-Net Clinic. Pharmacotherapy. 2016 Mar;36(3):342-7. doi: 10.1002/phar.1710. Epub 2016 Feb 24. PubMed PMID: 26917116.
- Sisson EM. Lipid Guidelines – What’s best for my patient? AADE In Practice. September 2016:40-45. ISSN: 2325-1603.
- Painter NA, Sisson EM. An Overview of Concentrated Insulin Products. Diabetes Spectrum. Diabetes Spectrum 2016 Aug; 29 (3): 136-140.
- Sisson EM, Calhoun M, Crouch MA. Dyslipidemia: Contemporary Evaluation and Management. Bethesda, MD: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, 2014. ASHP eReport.
- Sisson EM, Dixon DL. Pharmacotherapy for glucose management. In: Mensing, C. editor. The art and science of diabetes self-management education, 3rd Edition. Chicago: American Association of Diabetes Educators; 2014.
- Dixon DL, Sisson EM. Pharmacotherapy: dyslipidemia and hypertension in persons with diabetes. In: Mensing, C. editor. The art and science of diabetes self-management education, 3rd Edition. Chicago: American Association of Diabetes Educators; 2014.