Kristin Zimmerman, PharmD, CGP
Department of Pharmacotherapy & Outcomes Science
Location: Smith Building, Room 340
Phone: (804) 628-5074
Kristin Zimmerman, PharmD, CGP, is an Associate Professor within the VCU School of Pharmacy’s Department of Pharmacotherapy and Outcomes Science. Dr. Zimmerman received her Bachelor of Science (2006) and Doctor of Pharmacy (2008) degrees from the University of Connecticut and completed two years of postgraduate residency training to specialize in Geriatrics (2008-2010). As a certified geriatric pharmacist and former MCPHS University faculty (2010-2015), she practiced within the VA Boston Healthcare System (2010-2015) as a Clinical Pharmacy Specialist in Geriatrics.
In her role at VCU, and as a member of the Center for Pharmacy Practice Transformation, Dr. Zimmerman is practicing within the Hayes E. Willis Health Center’s family medicine clinic developing novel pharmacy practice models for the care of adult outpatients. Her scholarship and clinical activities focus on medication reconciliation and appropriateness assessments, shared decision making and patient-centered care, as well as regimen complexity and the de-prescribing of unnecessary medications. Her interests in health policy revolve around quality initiatives that support: primary, preventative, and older adult care services that coincide with patient-centered care; expanding the role of allied health professions; and access to comprehensive care services.
School of Pharmacy
Dept of Pharmacotherapy & Outcomes Science
410 N 12th Street
P.O. Box 980533
Richmond, VA 23298-0533
- Pharm.D., (University of Connecticut, 2008)
- B.Pharm., (University of Connecticut, 2006)
- PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency - (VA Boston Healthcare System, 2009)
- PGY-2 Pharmacy Practice Residency - Geriatrics (VA Boston Healthcare System, 2010)
Academic Appointments/Professional Experience
- (2010 - 2014) Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, MCPHS University
- (2014 - 2015) Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice, MCPHS University
Professional and Scholarly Interests
- Medication Regimen Complexity, De-Prescribing, Geriatrics, Cognition
The publications search is performed on the
National Library of Medicine's PubMed database. The search may be slow during
high traffic hours, may return articles authored by another researcher with a similar
name and may not always find all of a researcher's articles.
- Recent Publications
- Aspinall SL, Zhao X, Semla TP et al; Veterans Affairs Community Living Center Pharmacotherapy Research Group. Epidemiology of Drug-Disease Interactions in Older Veteran Nursing Home Residents. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 Jan;63(1):77-84.
- Kostas TRM, Zimmerman KM, Salow M, Simone M, Whitmire N, Rudolph JL, McMahon G. Improving Medication Management Competency of Clinical Trainees in Geriatrics. JAGS. 2014 Aug; 62(8): 1568-1574.
- Paquin AM, Zimmerman KM, Rudolph J. Risk versus risk: a review of benzodiazepine reduction in older adults. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2014 Jul;13(7):919-34.
- Zimmerman KM, Salow M, Skarf LM, Kostas T, Paquin A, Simone M, Rudolph JL. Increasing anticholinergic burden and delirium in palliative care inpatients. Palliat Med. 2014 Apr; 28(4):335-41.
- Kostas TRM, Paquin AM, Zimmerman KM, Simone MJ, Skarf LM, Rudolph JL. Characterizing medication discrepancies among older adults during transitions of care: a systematic review focusing on discrepancy synonyms, data sources and classification terms. Aging Health. 2013 Oct; 9(5): 497-508.
- Kostas TRM, Zimmerman KM, Rudolph, J. Improving Delirium Care: Prevention Monitoring and Assessment. The Neurohospitalist. 2013 Oct; 3(4): 194-202.
- Paquin AM, Zimmerman KM, Kostas TR, Pelletier L, Hwang A, Simone M, Skarf LM, Rudolph JL. Complexity perplexity: a systematic review to describe the measurement of medication regimen complexity. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2013 Nov; 12(6): 829-840.
- Ghidei L, Simone MJ, Salow MJ, Zimmerman KM, Paquin AM, Skarf LM, Kostas RM, Rudolph JL Aging, Antiretrovirals, and Adherence: A Meta Analysis of Adherence among Older HIV-Infected Individuals. Drugs Aging. 2013 Aug; 809-818.
- Zimmerman KM, Rudolph J, Salow M, Skarf LM. Delirium in Palliative Care Patients: Focus on Pharmacotherapy. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2011 Nov; 28(7):501-10.
- Patel CH, Zimmerman KM, Fonda JR, Linsky A. Medication Complexity, Medication Number, and Their Relationships to Medication Discrepancies. Ann Pharmacother. 2016 May 4. pii: 1060028016647067. [Epub ahead of print]